Saturday, October 16, 2004

Happy Declare My Major Day!

I had hoped to be a Logic major by sunset, but as it turns out, it's not that simple. Yesterday afternoon after testing some kindergardeners at the campus school I went to Jay Garfield's office to ask him to be my advisor. But declaring a major in Logic is not like declaring a major in English or Biology- there is no major in Logic; I must design my own.
What this means is that I have to write a proposal explaining why I want to be a Logic major and why no existing major will do; I have to make a list of all the courses I plan to take for the rest of my time at Smith and explain how each one relates to my Master Plan; I have to have two advisors, instead of one, get about five signatures from various people- Jim Henle has to sign twice- the Philosophy department, Math department, and Curriculum Committee have to read my proposal and vote on it... then, and only then, will I be a Logic Major.
Choosing all my classes for the rest of my time at Smith is stressful, if not impossible. What if one day I wake up with a consuming desire to learn Russian? And how do I know what courses are even going to be offered my senior year, and, almost as importantly, which ones will be taught by the incompetant M-rrie B-rgman? It's also frightening and depressing to realize that I only have four semesters left, not counting the spring of my Junior year, when I plan to be in China. In my distressed state, I felt compelled to make a flow chart of my academic career and subsequent adult life.
"Welcome aboard," Jay said to me. But it'll be awhile before we sail this ship along.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Whoohoo! How wonderful! Not the stress, just the announcement. Thinking of the rest of your time at Smith in terms of semesters was a bit of a shock but at least you are getting the full value of each of them! Congratulations!
Mum

2:28 PM  
Blogger Bill said...

As I understand what you are proposing, "maybe I feel like learning Russian" should present no difficulty-- a paragraph or so about your interest in Logic as it relates to language (very Wittgenstein) should suffice. Actually, there is probably a way to shoehorn some drawing classes into the mix as well. As for the incompetent Merrie Bergman, the solution is simple-- there will always be something else that you need to take just when she is wrecking havock on a subject-- particularly if you are taking a language or fine art class. Oh well-- you'll just have to do an independent study with your advisor, or somebody else good, when it fits into what you are doing.

The excecise of writing it out will be pleasant and diverting-- like making a Christmas list.

I love the idea of a Logic major-- particularly as a synthisis of linguistic/psychological/philosophical analysis. How cool is it that you are actually able to run down that dark alley? Man, I just put my hands in my pockets, whistled and walked by when it was my turn-- and broke into a run when I saw the law school, like an alter boy running for the church.

12:58 AM  
Blogger Emily said...

It's not that Russian wouldn't apply, it's that it wouldn't fit, and that since I'm not interested now, how do I plan for the possibility that I might be at some point in the future. That's what worries me.

2:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home