Wednesday, June 29, 2005

Hopkins?

I got into Hopkins this morning. I had to turn them down. I would have done it, on a lark, for next semester, but I'm Student Academic Advisor for Washburn and on the SAA steering committee and everything so it's really not an option. This is a little disappointing but also a relief. It looks like I'm in Washburn for good, then, because I wouldn't want to move out senior year and have to acclimate to a new house. I particularly wouldn't want a house like Hopkins, which is noisy and where you have to do time-consuming chores, while writing a thesis. It's hard to imagine writing a thesis in a co-op.

There's very little left for me in Washburn- all my close friends are gone. But I feel very comfortable there and the people are all right. I would want to walk with Washburn at graduation. I guess I'm glad I'm staying. Mostly.

3 Comments:

Blogger Bill said...

I'd say that you really have the best of both worlds this way. The first thing is that in Washburn you have the comfort of familiarity-- and a location that I think is the best on campus. The second thing is that you have friends in all different locations, so you can go to those houses too, and feel comfortable. Th co-op may be fun, and it is great that you got to try the experience, but you're right-- there are too many distracting things to do in anyone's life without having to add stuff like cooking and cleaning (or being annoyed because someone else isn't cleaning) to the mix. You'll have plenty of that later-- why rush into it.

10:18 AM  
Blogger Andrea said...

This is one of those rare occasions when I agree with your Da. It sounds like your summer in Hopkins has been a lot of fun but it might be less so if you were carrying a full course load. Next year will be hectic enough without adding more responsibilities. Continue to enjoy each experience for what it is, as you have been.

2:35 PM  
Blogger Bill said...

Which just goes to show-- sometimes both your mother and I can be right, at the same time. Funny how it mostly happens when she is agreeing with me.

10:08 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home