Thursday, July 14, 2005

A rant about Kavalier and Clay for no real reason

One of my exercises in the book is a bunch of statements, and the reader has to write an argument for each. They range from "The United States should repeal the Second Amendment" to "Books should never be made into movies."

"Make it more specific," said Jim. "Can you think of any particular book that should never be made into a movie?"

I thought about it. "John Irving novels should never be made into movies," I volunteered.
"John Irving novels should never be made into novels," said Jim, echoing another of my favorite rants, which we'll leave it aside for now.

I have to say, although Wonder Boys was a good movie with good acting, despite a dubious casting decision in Tobey Maguire as James Leer, The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay is probably going to be a terrible movie. They're going to insert animated sequences, maybe (my mum thinks this is a good idea), and the casting is going to be all wrong. Here are some possible Sam Clays: Tobey Maguire and Ben Stiller. BEN STILLER? How OLD is Ben Stiller?! Am I not remembering who Ben Stiller is? Are they? Tobey Maguire? Please!

The nominations for Joe Kavalier are even worse. Jude Law? Jude Law is not Joe Kavalier!

If I may make a suggestion,
THIS is Joe Kavalier. He's absolutely perfect. A little old, yes, but he has such a fantastically large nose and sad eyes and he looks like an Eastern European Jew. Jude Law? Not an Eastern European Jew. Well, maybe he is, actually, I have no idea, Jude is a Hebrew name, but that doesn't change his appalling wrongness. And as for Ben Stiller- well, I would cry. But I have no better suggestion for Sammy. I'll have to keep looking.

3 Comments:

Blogger Andrea said...

Your choice is actually Italian and I agree that he would be good and not just because he is Italian. I also stand by my belief that including comic book scenes would be good but I don't recall saying animated parts.

9:06 AM  
Blogger Emily said...

Italian, Czech, whatever, he's terribly dreamy. Every major character in that book except for Tracy Bacon is repeatedly said to have a large nose, and I adore large noses. If we don't get a movie full of large nosed heartthrobs I shall be sorely disappointed.

1:26 PM  
Blogger Andrea said...

http://www.cyberium.net/bnguy/

2:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home