Tuesday, October 26, 2004

Hulk will smash.

I went through a blue hair phase, I'll admit it. I wasn't trying to make a statement, I wasn't trying to annoy my parents or any other authority figures, I wasn't rebelling or copying anyone in particular. I just thought blue was a pretty color, and when I had blue hair I felt about 75% more outgoing and confident than I did otherwise. I also had a great many blue clothes and personal items, because I just liked the color blue that much.

And then I got sick of it.

Now I like the color brown, and pink, and red, and certain shades of orange, and until today, my new favorite might have been green, but today green was knocked to the bottom of the list, down there with yellow ochre. Today in painting I painted green.

The still life I am painting is an Incredible Hulk glove on top of a green bucket next to a bottle of Comet dish soap, sitting on a backdrop of Astroturf. My painting is 18"x20" and I think I've used up half the tube of green paint JUST TODAY. I'm still seeing green before my eyes. I wanted to paint a different still life, one with a variety of brown bottles and a purple dropcloth, but there was no room. I managed to lug my enormous easel over to that side of the room, only to find that I was blocking someone's view. "Just a little to the left..." she said. "No, just a little more... okay, thanks!"
"I can't see at all," said another girl, but I thought she said "I can see it all," so I said, "Are you sure?"
"Yes, I'm sure, you're completely blocking my view!" she said angrily. So I pulled my easel back across the room- losing a wheel in the process- to the only spot still available: behind four other people, eighteen feet away from the Hulk still life- dainty and glamorous.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home