Thursday, February 24, 2005

Four plums, safe and sound

Nina and I saw a shop downtown with this sign in the window:

It reads, "Si li ping'an," which, as far as we could tell, meant "Four plums, safe and sound." Posted by Hello

We were puzzled so today in class I drew the characters on my paper and asked what they meant. Zhao laoshi laughed and laughed. "They are missing one stroke," she explained. "This is what it should say:


plums Posted by Hello


"Si ji ping'an": "Four seasons, safe and peaceful." Which, you know, makes a lot more sense. Silly laowai.

2 Comments:

Blogger Greg said...

Are they organic plums?

10:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't know, I kind of like the idea of the plums, all safe and cozy but then it makes me think of plum tart which is very delicious but less safe if you happen to be the plums.

9:47 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home