Thursday, September 22, 2005

Mountain Day Mountain Day Happy Mountain Day!

Tuesday night a bunch of Green Street residents (my money's on Tyler- it's the sort of thing they'd do) charged onto the quad demanding a Mountain Day riot. Mountain Day riot is a thing I kind of disapprove of but I suppose the Quadlings must have their fun. For about a week in advance they hoard food from meals, and then one night when they want Mountain Day they all charge over to Carol Christ's house screaming and yelling and throwing food at each other. The Quad is really quite disgusting for a long time after the riot. In theory, they're supposed to clean up afterwards, but as one girl in my Calc class remarked, "How do you get sausage out of grass?"

Because of the (in my view rather pathetic) Green Street Riot, we all kind of expected Mountain Day to be Wednesday, but I for one was relieved when it wasn't. Wednesdays are busy for me- I have Calc, Chinese, my Logic section which I have to attend and sort of help direct, and Philosophy of Language, which only meets once a week and so to miss one would be a disaster. Because I am a tool.

Carol Christ left this morning for Madrid, so we figured we wouldn't be able to have Mountain Day until after fall break, when she returns, but this morning I woke from a dream of Sherlock Holmes to the sound of bells. "It's Mountain Day," I thought hazily, and set my alarm clock forward ten minutes. Livin' la Vida Loca, I am.

Generally on Mountain Day the people who are up early run through the house pounding on doors and shouting "Mountain Day Mountain Day Happy Mountain Day!" but today this did not happen, and so I eventually decided I'd imagined the bells and got up to go to the gym. While I was brushing my teeth, I ran into a couple of people who said it wasn't Mountain Day, and I imagine they spent their mornings sitting around sadly in empty classrooms. It was Mountain Day, however, and so after the gym (I cut my workout short because I wanted to have energy for fun) I lingered over a muffin outside and read Hugh Laurie, then spent TWO HOURS working on my comic! It was amazing! I know you're supposed to be outdoorsy on Mtn Day but the prospect of guilt-free drawing time was too good to pass up. I joined my house for a picnic by the dock, and then Kep and Sarah and I hiked up to the Dangerous and Condemned State Mental Hospital, which you can no longer wander freely around. Then we split up and I went to the river for a swim and it was lovely. Cold, and a little crowded, but highly refreshing. Then I had a nap, because all that sunlight and fun and exercise really takes it out of you.

Tonight I have a Habitat meeting and our Head Resident is having a Suite Warming Party, where I might put in an appearance. I'm awfully sleepy, but it's been a lovely day.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home