Thursday, October 20, 2005

Crush crush crush

It has long been my theory that it is okay to have a crush on a professor to the extent that it encourages you to excell in the class. So for instance all the girls in my high school who had crushes on Malcolm (does this set include me? At this point it's too long ago to remember exactly) would have wanted to do really well in English so they could impress him. This is sometimes consious and sometimes not. My crush on Jim, for instance, has always been purely a professor crush, since he's 40 years older than I am and could be my grandfather and is other people's grandfather. It's the sort of crush that makes me want to do well in Set Theory and go to his office and talk about infinite games and that sort of thing. It bears no resemblance to the crushes I get on my peers.

My crush on my calculus professor, on the other hand, is a much more insidious, much less benign sort of crush. It's the sort that makes me babble incoherently when I go to his office. It's the sort that makes me want to giggle a lot. I feel like I'm thirteen. I think I'm going to drop the class and become a Women's Studies major. Or Computer Science. Some department where the professors are less dreamy.

4 Comments:

Blogger Andrea said...

Yes, the course catalog should certainly come with disclaimers as to the potential for distractions or a heads up on the dreaminess of the department members.

7:29 PM  
Blogger Greg said...

Or a current photo. Or a photo with students, who, if they're looking at him all doe-eyed, would clearly indicate the potential pitfalls.

10:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

How could you love someone who understands calculus?

3:10 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

c, not only does she have the capacity to love someone who understands calculus, she fully intends to marry a mathematician. It's true. Really. She told me so. 5 times, at least.

...At some point, being emphatic starts to undermine credibility because people get suspicious. How pecuuuuuuliar.

1:42 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home