Sunday, December 04, 2005

Chicken Chicken!

Remember how in China, chickens go "chicken chicken"? Well, it's totally true, and in fact my fellow Logic T.A. Julia claims that's how they got the name in the first place. This was discussed at the logic dinner. We tried to think of English examples of the same thing, but could only come up with birds - whippoorwills, whooping cranes, and something called kik-a-rik-kee, but I don't know what that is. On Friday in Chinese we watched a film called, apparently, Tadpoles Searching for Mother. It was, without a doubt, one of the cutest things I have ever seen in my entire life. It was done in the style of Chinese brush painting, and it was these teeny tiny tadpoles searching for their mother and they kept going up to other pond creatures like goldfish and crying "Hao mama hao mama!" and it was adorable. They made friends with some baby chicks (xiao ji) who went "ji ji ji" ("chicken chicken chicken!") and I totally thought the chicks were going to eat the tadpoles but they didn't. And I was so excited about the baby chicks going "ji ji ji."

This weekend was Winter Weekend and there was much dancing and carousing, but no drinking. I did dance with TWO sketchy guys at the campus center, which brings my total of Guys I Have Properly Danced With to I think six. Let's make a list:
  1. The absurdly high-voiced boy at the Canisius dance in 1999, who put his hands on my hips and I put my hands on his shoulders and then I had to confess to my journal and I felt all harloty
  2. Two boys, Alex and Joshua, at the Sem Date Dance sophomore year. They were Jillian's and Erica's dates, respectively. Alex was about five foot two and a male soprano, and I swayed with him and looked over the top of his head and was bored.
  3. Josh was a little taller than me, sort of stocky, and in my opinion the absolute ultimate in dreaminess. The dance he gave me as a courtesy resulted in a hopeless crush and much more rather ridiculous journaling.
  4. A very sketchy but handsome Asian boy who smelled like cigarettes at a Quad party my first year. I still blush at the recollection.
  5. Sketchy Guy Last Night #1
  6. Sketchy Guy Last Night #2
Now that Winter Weekend is over, we are really really in the home stretch. I always feel guilty at this time of year for being so much less stressed than everybody else. Exams never seem to bother me. They will be got through. Papers will be written. In less than 20 days I'll be back in the Queen City of the Lakes, watching Jeeves & Wooster and having my parents cook for me. I could wish that my relationship with K. didn't have to come to such a complete and total stop in such a short time, but that's life, I suppose, and it's better to be glad of having nice things while you have them than to be upset that nice things don't last forever.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tremendous Anxiety! What makes a guy "Sketchy"??!! Does it have anything to do with being 'poorly drawn'?

8:09 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home