Thursday, December 08, 2005

When they said sit down I stood up

One of the hardest things about growing up for me is that I often feel like I am doing such a good job! I did not throw a big public tantrum! I did not push that girl who was in my way! I did not say anything rude to the pretentious boy in my seminar! I am holding it together! I am being brave and making conversation with people with whom conversation is very difficult, i.e. almost everybody in the whole world! What a good job I am doing; I win at life! But- and this is the difficult part - I do not get a medal. No one ever says to me, "Nice job not kicking me in the shin more often!" Nor should they. But what no one gets is, for all the bad, childish things I do, there are ever so many more I'm holding back, and shouldn't I get some sort of prize for that?

So even though I did not manage to hold it together 100% this evening when life thwarted me yet again, I held it together much better than I could have. So I treated myself to a cup of chai. Way to go, EGA. You are doing a good job.

3 Comments:

Blogger Bill said...

You should get a prize. Shall I bake you some cookies?

9:22 AM  
Blogger Andrea said...

Cookies?! I think she deserves a parade! And a day named after her. And maybe the key to the city.

3:18 PM  
Blogger Greg said...

But doesn't that mean the "devil will drag you under by the sharp lapels of your checkered coat"?

5:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home