Monday, December 05, 2005

Little Girl

Tonight at dinner we were discussing elementary school, and Caitlin said "I don't actually remember learning to read."
"I do," I said. "I remember reading Bears on Wheels all by myself, and I went to go tell my mom and she said, 'Oh, I don't care, I don't love you anymore, I only love your new baby sister.'"
"I doubt those are the words she used," said Kate.
"But it came through loud and clear."

Then I said that I'd listened to the same song like thirty five times in two days, and Kate wanted to know which song, and I wouldn't tell her, and then she looked at her watch and smirked, and I didn't want to ask her why, figuring she was probably counting down until her next public display of affection with her girlfriend or something, and who needs to hear about that, but in fact she was timing how long it would take for me to get tired of keeping a secret and tell her the song.

It took 30 seconds.

I really wish I could go back in time and run my experiment on my 5-year old self. I'd like to know how I'd do. I bet I'd make a bunch of Type C errors, because that's what all the cool kids do, but probably I'd've just been a yes-bias-er, because I still kind of am. "Every mouse has a cookie? Totally!" "Would I like a cigarette? Absolutely!"

Talked to Jim today, which was kind of nice. I now have three professors with extremely specific ideas of what I should write my thesis on, none of which is what I actually want to write my thesis on, but he did say that I didn't need to worry too much about getting into one of the Garfield 9, which is kind of a relief.

Today I was doing my radio show and some guy called in and said mine was the best show, that it was just awesome, beginning to end. I'm glad he likes it, since I definitely play the exact same songs every week. Kep of course lost no time in pointing out that he probably calls everybody and tells them that, but this is because she is a killjoy.

p.s. Mum & Kep- no hard feelings. I'm over the Bears on Wheels thing and the radio fan thing, really I am.

2 Comments:

Blogger Andrea said...

Ahem. That was no the way it happened at all. I was giving your sister a bath and you came in and read the book to me and I was very proud and happy and seem to recall saying something along the lines of how the world just opened up for you and, at the time, you seemed happy. Now, of course, your book agent is probably the one who planted that false memory in the hopes of creating a rift but it takes more than that to get rid of me. Love ya!

8:48 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Heehee... I was just teasing you.

11:18 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home