Sunday, March 06, 2005

Sophmoric

Although I dimly remember being pretty unhappy a lot of the time first year, what with the breaking up and the domestic violence and the angst of every flavor and variety, I ended up with a majority of happy memories, and the happy memories are stronger than the sad ones. The thing is, though, that I had such good times at parties and events that a lot of this year's pale in comparison. There are exceptions- Mountain Day was a lot better this year, for one thing- but that's the general trend. My 18th birthday was the best birthday I've ever had; my 19th birthday was miserable. Last year's Winter Weekend was really fun; this year's Winter Weekend was lousy. Last year's Drag Ball was amazing; this year's Drag Ball was... not.

The solution, I guess, is to find new adventures instead of trying to recreate old ones. This is difficult, since some things, like Drag Ball and Mountain Day, do happen every year, and some, like my birthday, can't really be avoided. But there are new adventures to be had. On Saturday I'm heading down to Charleston to build houses, that will be exciting; I've never done that before. In April I might go on the House trip to New York, which would be fun. So there is hope. But sometimes you can't help but be disappointed when expectations give way to harsh reality.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home