Friday, April 29, 2005

A Kristi Moment

There's this girl in my house named Kristi who must have been very sheltered before coming to college because she has never heard of anything and it's kind of a running joke in the house. (Not a mean joke, I don't think- she seems to have a sense of humor about it.) Last year somebody mentioned the phrase "blow job" and Kristi had to go look it up in the dictionary. Then she had to go look up the words used to define it. And then she was horrified.
I had a Kristi moment yesterday in my Wittgenstein seminar. Jay was telling us about how Wittgenstein was basically run out of town by the villagers due to his "transgression of certain social norms."
"Like what?" asked Mary.
"Well, Wittgenstein was gay," Jay said. "And he was very into rough trade, which did not sit well with the people of this particular Austrian village at the time."
"What's rough trade?" I wanted to know. (Why didn't I just write it down and look it up later? I didn't think of it. Jay is very insistant that when he uses a word I don't know I should always ask, and I have learned many very good words that way, like weltanschauung and indexical and exegesis. So I did it this time out of habit, not to be impish.)
"You don't know what rough trade means?" my classmates chortled smugly, and I blushed and tried to say never mind, but Jay, bless him, stood by his policy.
"Rough trade is a term used in certain sexual subcultures to refer to a sexual act in which harm is done to one or both of the sex partners..." he went ON AND ON, and really, I would have been okay if he had stopped right after the first instance of the word sexual.
"I'm too prudish to continue any further in this explanation," he finally concluded, and that was A OK with me. Good heavens, I can think of two letters that would have done me fine, but presumably he was afraid I wouldn't know what those meant either and the nightmare would have never ended.

4 Comments:

Blogger Bill said...

I knew he was gay, of course, but now I know more than I wanted to as well.

No wonder he moved to England.

11:55 AM  
Blogger Greg said...

No offense to Jay, but I think rough trade doesn't have an S&M component per se. My understanding is that it's a reference to the characteristics displayed by the [potential] partner in that he or she affects the manner of being dangerous or violent or just, well, low class. In that case our philosopher would be trolling for partners inappropriate to his station in life, embarassing his friends at parties and so forth.

12:13 AM  
Blogger Greg said...

No offense to Jay, but I think rough trade doesn't have an S&M component per se. My understanding is that it's a reference to the characteristics displayed by the [potential] partner in that he or she affects the manner of being dangerous or violent or just, well, low class. In that case our philosopher would be trolling for partners inappropriate to his station in life, embarassing his friends at parties and so forth.

12:17 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I came across a 4 blow off srt valve that I think will interest you. Bookmark it and come back often. I know it has some great 4 blow off srt valveinfo.

6:07 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home