Wednesday, April 20, 2005

Summer

Of course, this logic book is the most exciting thing to happen in awhile, but there are a couple of other reasons why I'm looking forward to this summer more than any other since I entered the workforce at 14: going to North Carolina with Lillian, maybe a trip to DC with Nina, an exciting adventure at MoCCA in June, and I just got word that JJF, my favorite teacher in high school, would be delighted to have me help get things ready for the opening of her new school. Score.

To New York this past weekend with the House. I had a very nice time, particularly in light of the fact that I got to talk to Kate Marvin, a rare treat. We went to Chinatown and SoHo, then to NYU for Indian food. I had naan bread, coconut soup, and vegetable vindaloo so spicy it had me sweating.
"I recently realized that I raise my eyebrows a lot," said Kate at one point. This is an understatement- she raises her eyebrows constantly, to the point that last year Kanak and I nicknamed her miemao, which is Chinese for "eyebrow." I've been calling Kate Miemao ever since, and I would never tell her what it meant. I decided this was as good a time as any.
"Miemao means 'eyebrow,'" I told her.
"Really?"
"Yeah."
"Really?"
"Yup."
"...You've been calling me Eyebrow for the past year?!"
"You see now why I never told you."

Here are some pictures of the trip:

Alyson, Jen, Deyvi and Holly on the subway Posted by Hello


Carly, Roxanne, and Jen on the streets of NY Posted by Hello


Jen, Roxanne, Deyvi, and Holly in the lobby of our hotel Posted by Hello


From left: Elisabeth, Kate, Me, Jackie, and Holly Posted by Hello


At the Indian Restaurant Posted by Hello

3 Comments:

Blogger Greg said...

There's a Bangledeshi restaurant M. & I found around 6th Street and Avenue A that's right next door, cheek by jowl, with another Bangledeshi restaurant, both of them so heavily hung with chilli pepper lights that you can't see the ceiling and have to stoop to get to your table, and papered with reflective wrapping paper in every color they make the stuff in and religious iconography in all the usual colors. Food wasn't good, but the ambiance!

11:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I swear I am not the devil's derivative.

Your site is endearing; everything reads naturally with shimmer...shimmer shimmer.
sorry we couldn't find a market;; maybe another time and another place where we'll find hole-in-the-wall shops that sell huge litchis..
I was talking to a housemate the other day, and I found out that she'll be working on the Logic text this summer as well! cheers!

3:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Five Star Indian Recipes will delight every Indian food lover. Beautifully arranged recipes in full color and packed with new recipes specially chosen by Award Winning Chefs.
5 star indian recipes
Authentic Indian Cooking.
Link to this site: 5 star indian recipes
http://www.eating-healthily.com/

11:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home