Sunday, March 27, 2005

Get Get Get Get Get Over It!

Not a bad weekend, on the whole. On Friday Leah and I went to Good Friday mass at Helen Hills Hills Chapel, which was quite nice if a little more simple than what I look for in a Catholic mass. Then we met Nina and went out for Indian food. Yesterday I spent many a long hour in the linguistics lab working on my logic experiment, then did the radio show. Ok Go was playing at the Pearl Street at 8:30, so I went to Haymarket first, where I had a chai and a very good talk with my friend Lauren, who I met on the Spring Break trip.
Ok Go put on an amazing show. The crowd was very young- I'd say mostly high schoolers, with their socks rolled up real high and their wrist cuffs and their heavy eye makeup. I stood behind a guy with the tallest mowhawk I have ever seen; it was probably two feet high and everything to my left I saw through a transluscent screen of hair.
The opening act was The Sun, who did half an hour or so of delightfully peppy power pop. Ok Go, how cute are they? This cute: when one of the guitar players had to fix a broken string, two other members of the band acted out a scene from Les Miserables. It was hilarious. At one point during a long drum solo, the lead singer went down to the bar and got a round of beers for everybody. He was gone so long, however, that at one point the drummer put down his sticks and lit up a cigarette. They did all the songs off their epynonomous debut and some new stuff off their new album which will be coming out in July. At the end, we encored them, but they said no, we can't play any more songs for you because these are all the songs our new guitarist has learned how to play. But, they said, although we will not play any more songs (here he went on for quite a spell about why encores are bad and the system is screwing the listeners over- as he talked the other band members dismantelled all the equipment and carried it away)- they did have one more treat for us.
The treat turned out to be a fantastic performance of C-C-C-Cinnamon Lips, lip-synched to the track on the album, while the band performed an amazingly complicated dance sequence, synchronized perfectly and complete with some tricky-looking cheerleading moves. It was so much fun.

Now I'm off to Easter Mass- and to my sore throat, well, Get Over It!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home